ME: An Automatic Pot Stirrer

These series of photos will take you through our design thinking process to final prototype and further implications of this product.

Video of in house prototype of Geary in Action!

I rendered this animation video to show the manufactured version. 3Ds Max

This project initially designed for the International Housewares design competition.

We started with customer surveys to find a user need in the kitchen

After analysis of our consumer data, we derived this product statement and out goals for this 3 month project.

My team completed a competitive analysis. We purchased the Robostir and compare our designs to the functionality and ease of access of Robostir.

Our three design concepts in ideation phase. I did not sketch these drawings.

We used a decision matrix to determine which design to do with based on our project and consumer priorities.

These were the goals we hoped to achieve with our prototype

My major contribution included the UI for the utensil and food interface. I came up with this 3D printed arm- locking mechanism to create our desired stirring pattern

Tests were done to determine the right specifications for our motor

I did a Solidworks Simulation and analysis on the utensil arm and materials to ensure it would not break while in use.

Some challenges we faced and here were our solutions. A motor housing to stabilize the motor and correctly mesh the gears. Our controls with arduino for power and a Hub underneath to hold the pin and gear shaft in place to prevent misalignment.

Arduino Programming for three different stirring speeds shown by the switch

For our manufactured product these are the specs we hoped it would have

The next sequence of 4 images I made in 3Ds Max with high quality images to represent the fully manufactured version. The animation can be found in the details at the top of the page.

Removable Utensil and Arm piece, stainless steel

Clear class lid with surrounding stainless steel, other utensils can be exchanged such as a whisk

User interface includes a timer, on/off button, and speed control

To perform some fluid analysis we got these results to back up our specification that our prototype is more robust than Robostir.

A video during our testing showing how ineffective Robostir was in performance.

Top View of planetary gear system and motor

Freshly laser-cut planetary gear system from 3/4" clear acrylic

Overall Pot Stirrer with Planetary Gear system

Close up of the planet gear and mechanisms. Neon box is the motor housing to allow for easy motor removal for washing.

We achieved everything we hoped to except for the stirring area.



This project encompasses the spirit of the International Housewares Design Competition. The goal was to create a mechanical device for the home to improve working conditions. The area of focus was the kitchen and this product addresses the need to constantly stir soups, chili’s and sauces. The product is intended for the busy host/hostess who may not have time to spend at the stove. Another user may also be someone with arthritis who may not be able to stir for a long period of time. Final powerpoint presentation, proof of concept prototype, and my animations can be found in the google presentation to the left. Team of 3.


My role on this project was to ensure that the product was usable and mechanically sound.


My Senior Mechanical Design Project.


December 9, 2014


Fully functional prototype, proof of concept, final presentation

3Ds Geary Animation